Monday, September 26, 2011

Poached Egg or the Son of God

I love what C.S. Lewis has to say about Jesus and want to share his thoughts with you. I think he gets it exactly right:

"I am trying here to prevent anyone saying the really foolish thing that people often say about Him: 'I'm ready to accept Jesus as a great moral teacher, but I don't accept His claim to be God.' That is the one thing we must not say. A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher. He would either be a lunatic--on a level with the man who says he is a poached egg--or else he would be the Devil of Hell. You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse. You can shut Him up for a fool, you can spit at Him and kill Him as a demon; or you can fall at His feet and call Him Lord and God. But let us not come with any patronising nonsense about His being a great human teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to."

-From C.S. Lewis' book Mere Christianity

3 comments:

Lucy said...

Your post cought me by surprise. In fact I almost made a comment that would have been inappropriate until I read more of your blog and read up on C. S. Lewis. I was given the choice he speaks of when investigating the Mormon Church.

Omniscient said...

Thanks for a great blog
Papillary types of Thyroid cancer

james said...

Hello! Someone in my Facebook group shared this website with us so I came to give it a look. A different way of looking at Jesus. I don't believe Jesus ever claimed to be God.

I’m book-marking and will be tweeting this to my followers! Outstanding blog and superb design and style.