Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Feeling Stupid

When your thyroid breaks you can turn stupid. (That makes me think of the Toad the Wet Sprocket song, but it's not the same kind of stupid.) There are a lot of days now where I just feel plain ol' dumb. It's like my brain is working in slooooooow motion. I forget names of people I've known for a long time. I open up the internet and forget what website I wanted to type in. I start a sentence and forget what I'm trying to say. I forget words. This happened to me today, and I would tell you about the incidence in more detail, but I really can't remember. Pathetic, I know. When something like this happens I just try to find another word that fits and move on.

I am not alone in this funky state of mind. Many people with thyroid cancer (or maybe it's people who've had RAI?) admit to feeling this brain fog. Kairol Rosenthal describes it much better here. I don't know why this happens, but if the next time I talk to you I look like I'm concentrating really hard just to get the words to come out of my mouth, it's probably because I am. Maybe you should just give me a bucket so I can put it on my head and think. (If you aren't an enthusiast of The Andy Griffith Show then you have no idea what I'm talking about. Go here and fast forward to about the five minute mark. That Gomer Pyle, bless his heart...)

3 comments:

Laura said...

I'll be happy to share a bucket if you ever need one :-) glad to see you are back in the blog world!

Lauren said...

this seems to happen after two pregnancies in two years as well :) you're not alone in the brain fog club.

Mary said...

I was just diagnosed with thyroid cancer (a variant of follicular found mostly in people over 50, I'm 34), and since my TT I feel so foggy too. Nice to know I'm not alone, thank you for your blog.